This revision bundle is designed to help students revise for AQA A Level Sociology Papers 1 and 3: Education with Theory and Methods, and Crime and Deviance with Theory and Methods.
1. Theory and Methods Revision Notes
74 pages in total covering the following topics:
- Sociological Theories
- Sociological theories – an overview
- Positivism and Interpretivism
- Is sociology a science?
- Social Action theory
- Modernity, Postmodernity and Late Modernity
- Sociology and social policy
- Can sociology be value free?
‘Pure’ Research Methods:
- Introduction to Research Methods – Basic types of method and key term
- The Factors Affecting Choice of Research Method – Theoretical, Ethical and Practical Factors
- Secondary Quantitative Data – Official Statistics
- Secondary Qualitative Data – Public and Private Documents
- Experiments – Field and Laboratory
- Interviews – Structured, Unstructured and Semi-Structured
- Observational Methods – Cover and Overt Participant and Non-Participant Observation
- All sections also contain a section of research methods applied to education, or ‘methods in context’
2. Theory and Methods Mind Maps
15 mind maps covering the following topics:
· Positivism and Interpretivism
· Is Sociology a Science?
· Social Action Theory
· Modernity and Postmodernity an Introduction
· Postmodernity and Postmodern Theory
· Sociology and Social Policy
· Sociology and Value Freedom
· Field Experiments
· Social surveys
· Unstructured interviews
· Participant observation
– Factors influencing choice of research method (update May 2017!)
3. Theory and Methods Essay Plans
Five essays in total:
• Assess the Contribution of Functionalism to our Understanding of society (20)
• Assess the Contribution of Marxism to our Understanding of society (20)
• Assess the Usefulness of Positivist Approaches to Social Research (20)
• Assess the view that theoretical factors are the most significant factor
• Influencing a sociologist’s choice of research methods (20)
• Evaluate the Strengths and Limitations of Using Social Surveys in Social Research (20)
4: How to write methods in context essays
Includes 3 examples of methods in context questions, a pared down mark scheme and advice on how to write and plan these essays.
5: 10 mark ‘outline and explain research methods questions
A total of 6 questions.
6: Research Methods Key Terms
A glossary of key terms covering pretty much all of the content of research methods!
7. One revision PPT
On social surveys, covering practical, ethical and theoretical factors.