Traditionalism – Globalisation is exaggerated
1. Trade is not truly global, it is regional. For example, about 60% of EU trade is within the EU. And Sub Saharan Africa is largely left out of global trade flows
2. Transnational Corporations do not operate in all countries, only secure ones.
3. Billions of people still live mostly subsistence lifestyles and simply cannot afford to take part in globalised western style consumption.
5. Some countries remain cut off from ‘global democratic and military force’ – e.g. North Korea and Iran. Also some traditional cultures still practice abuses that go against the UNDHR – see 7 below.
6. Governments still have the power to censor social media – e.g. the great firewall of China
7. Local traditions still remain in many cultures – For example it is estimated that 90% of women in Somalia have been circumcised. See the following video links for examples of traditional cultures.
The Optimist View of Globalisation
The Pessimist View of Globalisation
Leave a Reply