Answers to the AQA’s A-level sociology (7192/2) ‘topics’ exam: beliefs in society, section B only. Just a few thoughts to put students out of their misery. (Ideas my own, not endorsed by the AQA)
I won’t produce the exact questions below, mainly because I haven’t actually seen the paper at time of writing, just the gist..
Q13: Outline and explain two ways in which globalisation may affect religious beliefs and practices(10)
I would have gone for two very general ‘ways’ and then expanded on them….
Firstly I would have gone for ‘postmodernisation of religion’ – the decline in the numbers of people being dogmatic about religion as people access more and more information about a wider and wider array of religions, and discuss how the new ages movement and ecumenicalism expand
Secondly I would have used Fundamentalism as a reaction to secular globalism.
Q14 – Analyse two reasons why minority ethnic groups in the UK are often more religious that the majority of the population
Using the item as a base, you would have had to have gone for:
- Minority ethnic groups arriving with a different culture from the host society – you can apply Weberianism and cultural transition theory to this.
- Members of minority groups facing racism… developed using the cultural defence theory, possibly using Pentecostalism as an example. You could also throw in some Marxist analysis to beef it up.
Q15: Evaluate the view that an increase in spirituality in the UK has compensated for the decline of organised religion
This is basically Postmodernism/ new ageism + secularisation. My plan would have looked something like this:
- Outline key features of NAMs (in item)
- Postmodern explanations of NAMs- growth individualism/ rejection metanarratives
- Outline (briefly) evidence on the decline of organised religion (secularisation)
- Postmodern explanations of organised religion – doesn’t FIT PM society!
- Highlight what NAMs do that Organised religion used to do… (arguing for the view in the question) – e.g.
- Criticise the view in the question… highlighting the differences between NAMs and organised religion…
- Conclusion… it isn’t replacing organised religion and that’s a god thing?
Beliefs in society revision bundle for sale
If you like this sort of thing then you might like my ‘beliefs in society’ revision bundle.
The bundle contains the following:
- Eight mind maps covering the sociological perspectives on beliefs in society. In colour!
- 52 Pages of revision notes covering the entire AQA ‘beliefs in society’ specification: from perspectives on religion, organisations, class, gender ethnicity and age and secularisation, globalisation and fundamentalism.
- Three 10 mark ‘outline and explain’ practice exam questions and model answers
- Three 10 mark ‘analyse using the item’ 10 practice exam questions and answers
- Three 30 mark essay questions and extended essay plans.
The content focuses on the AQA A-level sociology specification. All at a bargain price of just £4.99!
I’ve taught A-level sociology for 16 years and have been an AQA examiner for 10 of those, so I know what I’m talking about, and if you purchase from me you’re avoiding all those horrible corporations that own the major A-level text books and supporting a fully fledged free-range human being, NOT a global corporate publishing company.
Leave a Reply