A summary of eight possible ways in which some aspects of Marxist Theory and concepts might still be relevant today…
This is a summary of this more in depth post which goes into much more detail on why we should all be Marxists!
Eight ways in which Marxism is still relevant today
- A class based analysis of global society is still relevant if you look at things globally.
- Exploitation still lies at the heart of the Capitalist system if you look at the practices of many Transnational Corporations.
- If you look at the recent bank bail outs it appears that those with economic power still have disproportionate influence over the superstructure.
- If you look at how individualised we have become it appears that many people are still under ideological control – but we don’t realise it.
- Work is still Alienating for many people.
- Economic crises are still inherent to the capitalist system and that in recent years these crises have become more severe and more frequent.
- Capitalist exploitation is so bad in some parts of the world that there is vehement resistance to it.
- In Britain there are tens of thousands of people who call themselves Communists and who sympathise with Marxism and the wider anti-capitalist movement. Left Wing criticisms and the anti-capitalist movement is still very much alive today.
Signposting and Related Posts
Other related posts include:
Eight Ways in Which Marxism is Still Relevant Today – the more in-depth version of this post.
The Marxist Theory of Society Revision Notes – a summary of all of the above.