A few hints for how I recommend answering the Crime and Deviance section of AQA’s paper 3 (which also contains theory and methods, more of that later). NB – What’s below isn’t endorsed by the AQA, but it’s my best interpretation based on what I’ve been told works.
Questions 1 and 2 (4 and 6 mark short answer questions) –‘Outline two ways/ Outline three reasons’
- Point (1 mark) + Explanation (1 mark)
- Do this (two times over for question 1, three times over for question 2)
- Bullet point each point and explanation.
Question 3 – The Outline and Analyse Question (10 marks) – ‘Using material from Item A, outline and Analyse two ways in which…’
- Read the item – this will give you your two ways (it will effectively limit you to two points)
- For each of the two points, make two further analytical points to develop that point, and ideally evaluate it.
- Do this twice.
Question 4 – The essay question (30 marks) Applying material from Item B evaluate something
- Read the question – if it asks you to do two things, make sure you do both
- Read the item – at least two of your points should stem from the item
- Make 3-6 total points depending on the essay – deeper or broader
- Use the Point –Explain – Expand (analyse) – Evaluate structure
- If it’s a perspectives essay, evaluate using other perspectives towards the end of the essay as you build up to your conclusion.